Powered By Blogger

Monday 21 April 2014

Sunbeds: Rethink Your Tanning

I went to get my nails done recently and the salon I visited also was a sunbed operator. I spent around an hour sitting there and was really shocked by the number of people passing in and out solely to use these sunbeds. It wasn't just young women who are still naive to the risks posed by UV exposure, but people from all walks of life. I saw women in suits popping in after work, teenage girls who were well under 18, a lady in her sixties making a pit stop while in town shopping. I even met a couple of people I knew including my own cousin! 
I know everyone likes to have a healthy glow but believe me the last thing sunless tanning is is healthy! The statistics are absolutely frightening but why is it that so many of us still choose to abuse our bodies in this way? I have myself used sunbeds in the past, if only a handful of times and yet I have multiplied my risk of developing skin cancer significantly. Even if you only use one sunbed in your life, this 5 or 10 minutes has increased your risk of Melanoma the most deadly form of the disease by 15%. Skin cancer is the most common type of the disease in Ireland yet we hear very little about it. It is also perhaps the most easy type of cancer to prevent. The Irish Cancer Society advises that no one at all should use a sunbed. Some people more than others will be susceptible to the damaging effects. If you have type 1 or type 2 skin there is absolutely no point using one of these devices. If you don't tan in the sun you won't tan in a sunbed. 



Also, if you are prone to freckles and have a history of sun burn you may want to reconsider. People under the age of 18 should under no circumstances use a sunbed and legislation will be implemented shortly to prohibit this. Using a sunbed after 18 is still very risky with research showing that using a sunbed before turning 30 will increase the risk of melanoma by 75%, that is a dramatic increase! The World Health Organisation has categorised sunbeds with the likes of tobacco and plutonium as cancer causing agents. I would plead with anyone reading this post to rethink your sunbed use after learning how high the risks are. Not only is there a significant causal link between sunless tanning and cancer but they also cause ireperable damage to your skin and lead to premature aging. Whatever your age, even if you are completely healthy skin cancer is a threat to you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment